Friday, January 16, 2009

Why?

Lou and I are sitting out by our own private pool, on a beautiful day, the breeze is blowing, the tide is out and the ocean is gorgeous. We have everything we could possibly want in life, two wonderful girls, good friends, and the opportunity and the means to experience things most people just dream about. Why me?

Just a short mile from here there are people living in mud huts, starving, trying to make ends meet by working the land or cleaning houses for less then most Americans spend on a Starbuck’s coffee.

How much in life is predetermined by God’s plan and how much is determined by our own will? How much is luck and how much is hard work? I don’t have any of the answers, I know that we have been very blessed in our own life and certainly some was luck and some was hard work, much was a blessing from God.

Why do bad things happen to good people and at the same time good things happen to bad people? Why do some, children suffer and others enjoy all the bounty of life? It seems like taking risks improves your chances of success or failure. Those who allow life or others to lead them will succumb to their surroundings, however rich or poor. Isn’t it better to have tried and failed then just hope and dream with no chance of success?

I know the Lou and I have experienced both success and failure, luck and despair, but we have learned so much.

2 comments:

  1. I look up at the stars at night and think about these things, too. I've never been hungry, had to flee a war, or had a serious illness. I try to be mindful of those less fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone once told us that "Americans are so blessed because they get to experience heaven twice. Once here on earth and then again when God brings them to his home." Perception is an interesting thing. I don't know if we can hope to understand the ways of the world while we are still walking on it, but I hope we never stop trying to help those we are led to help.

    ReplyDelete