Sunday, February 15, 2009

Ernie



I wanted to make my last African blog about a really incredible man that we met during our African journey, Ernie Thomas. Ernie and Lois hosted us at their home in Vipingo. This week we found out that Ernie had passed away.

He had battled throat cancer and had lost his larynx a few years ago. While we were at his home he was going through some tests because they had found a spot on his spine. Apparently the cancer came back and claimed his life.

Ernie was one of the most incredibly gentle men I have ever met. Since it was difficult for him to talk, you knew when Ernie said something it was worth listening to. Lois and him were so happy living in the little utopia they had created on the coast of Kenya. I know she must be devasted.


Lou and I are blessed and honored that we had the opportunity get to know Ernie and spend the quality time that we had with this wonderful man.

I have not uploaded any pictures of our trip on purpose. I have almost 2000 pictures of our African journey and I really want to cull and create an album or a book that documents one of the most incredible experiences we have ever had. To share all the pictures before the journey was done would be like having dessert before you have finished your entree but I do want to post a picture of Ernie so all of you can see the amazing smile of our good friend Ernie Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment